Thursday, February 13, 2014

Final Thoughts: Course Reflection

The most significant learning for me during this course has been the ideas and concepts presented in Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves by Louise Derman-Sparks & Julie Olsen Edwards. Most importantly, the idea that we, as professionals, must continuously self-reflect on our own beliefs and biases before we can accept others. Reflecting on who you are and where you came from gives you a perspective and an understanding of why you may act or react to situations in everyday life.

Another powerful learning for me was identity development in young children. I had never thought about how my family and the community around me impacted my own identity to shape the person I have become. It is eye-opening to realize how influential my family's rituals, values, and beliefs have been on the decisions I make today. Considering the significant role of family on identity development, the most effective way an educator can support a child is to support the family.  Early childhood educators should provide an environment for children where they can feel safe to be who they are, no matter their ethnic or cultural background.

Family plays such an important role in a child's life. Family life impacts a child's cognitive, social-emotional and physical development. For future studies, I would like to explore ways in which early childhood centers can effectively support and educate parents, while empowering them to advocate for their children. What types of programs have been the most effective in helping parents? What areas do parents feel they need or want the most support for? How can you measure the effectiveness of these programs? Through my research on dual language learners, the importance of providing support to family was a reoccurring theme. What do we know about what works best for families? Lastly, how can we use that information to promote positive relationships between a child's home and school?

5 comments:

  1. Jessica - I too enjoyed and found it very beneficial to my own work to understand identify development in young children and the impact that family plays in the development of a child. I think we often forget that other families may not be like our own and as such, those differences can influence our relationships with both children and families. Throughout my time at Walden, and especially throughout this course, I have realized the importance of self-reflection as means to improve our practices with children and families. In my own work, this is one practice I am working to improve myself; but, I am also working to help those early childhood teachers/caregivers that I mentor understand the importance of self-reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,
    I agree that our families play an integral role in how we form rituals especially those holiday rituals. In the Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, one eats pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. Most years, I am with my family in PA but this year, I was not with them but needed to have these foods to start my year.

    I believe your future study will impact many families. Empowering parents will allow parents to "fight" for what is best for their children and look for programs and services which will meet their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    I also learned a lot about personal growth and reflection by reading the anti-bias book. I thought that I didn't have very many biases but as I continued reading I found that I not only had biases but I was saying things in ways that reflected a slight bias. Luckily, I now have a reference and a knowledge of the correct ways to talk and interact with families, children, colleagues and parents that are different.

    This class has definitely helped me to grow personally and professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,

    I learned a great deal of information about myself and how I can help parents/families help their childre/ren. It is very important for early childhood professionals to be up to date on the most recent resources and information for young children to help them become successful and live a typical life. Thanks for all of your hard word and encouragement throughout this course. Good luck and best wishes throughout your future endeavors.

    Lori Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,
    Self-relfection is one of the most powerful tools a teacher can have. All humans should be self-reflective, but in our role as a teacher and educator we need to be self-reflective often. I know personally I self-relfect daily whether it be about a lesson a I taught, about a conversation I had with a student, or an interaction I shared with a staff member, self-reflection is almost always a part of my daily routine. Thank you for bringing the important of self-reflection back up in your post!

    ReplyDelete